After The Storm | Rochkind Insurance - Insurance Galveston

After the Storm

Galveston Hurricane Info

If you have to evacuate, don’t return home until authorities have said it’s safe. Don’t go inside if you smell gas, if floodwaters remain, or if your house was damaged by fire and authorities have not said it’s safe to enter.

Follow these tips to ensure that the insurance claims process runs smoothly:

Call Rochkind Insurance at (888)770-9503 or insurance company as soon as possible to report property damage. Keep a record of everyone you talked to from your company. Be prepared to answer questions about the damage. Follow the call immediately with a written claim to protect your rights under Texas’ prompt-payment law. If you have a separate wind and hail policy with TWIA, report claims at 1-800-788-8247. If you suffered flood damage and have a flood policy with the NFIP, report claims at 1-800-638-6620. Contact your auto insurance company if your car was damaged by a storm and you have comprehensive coverage. The ANPAC claims hotline is (800)333-2860

  • Make a list of your damaged property. Take picture and video of the damage if possible. Don’t throw away damaged items until your insurance adjuster has seen them.
  • Remove any standing water and dry the area as soon as possible. Move water-soaked items to a dry, well-ventilated area. If you must move items outdoors, put them in a secure area to protect them from theft.
  • Make reasonable and necessary temporary repairs to protect your home and property from further damage. Cover broken windows and holes to keep rain out. Don’t make permanent repairs before a claims adjuster inspects the damage. Keep a record of your repair expenses and save all receipts. You will need the receipts for reimbursement.
  • Make sure your address is visible. Post a sign with your address and the name of your insurance company in a spot that can be easily seen from the street.
  • Make sure your adjustor and company can contact you. If you have to move, give your insurance company and adjuster your temporary address and phone number.
  • Try to be there when the adjuster inspects your damage. You may also have your contractor at the inspection or have the contractor review the adjuster’s report before settling the claim. Don’t accept an unfair settlement. Most adjusters can provide proof-of-loss forms if you need to file a flood insurance claim. The claim forms must be filed with the NFIP within 60 days.
  • Contact the Red Cross or FEMA for assistance. If you need shelter or emergency food or water, contact the Red Cross at 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). If you’re not insured and need financial assistance, FEMA might be able to help. Contact FEMA at 1-800-621FEMA (3362) for the location of a disaster recovery center if the storm is a federally declared disaster.
  • Be on the lookout for insurance fraud. A disaster can lure dishonest building contractors and public insurance adjusters who may try to take advantage of you and your insurance company. To report suspected insurance fraud, call the Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439.

Have a Question?

Get in touch with us:

Get a quote now

Choose a form below to begin:
Scroll to Top

What type of quote are you looking for?

Life insurance quote form

Fill out the form to request a life insurance quote.
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY

Homeowners insurance quote form

Fill out the form to request a life insurance quote.
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Alarm type? Is alarm monitored by a security service?
  • Value of home
  • Value of contents in home